Plants World
   Login or Register
HomeCommunity ForumsMy Account
Community Forums › Trees & Shrubs › Trees › Have You Considered Using Trees For Your Landscaping Project
Toggle Content Search:
Toggle Content Main Menu
 Home Community Members options Forums Search Web Identication
 Contest01
 Links
Toggle Content MiniChat
emojitv: https://ufc237.de
07-May-2019 10:03:39
Allovevirginhair: hello
09-Apr-2019 08:48:34
Marcus: Hi guys!
02-Sep-2016 10:03:34
Tedus: how are you ? Smile Very Happy
04-Nov-2015 07:09:02
Marcus: Hi Tedus
24-Jun-2015 08:16:09
Tedus: Someone on forum???
14-Feb-2015 16:58:39
plantsandstuff: i need a plant identified
08-Dec-2012 17:42:05
Marcus: almost Smile
27-Oct-2012 18:29:42
Pljoska: is someone there Smile
28-May-2012 02:54:58
Marcus: Hello people Smile
01-Apr-2012 13:34:46
Shout History
Only Registered Users can Shout
Create/Login
Toggle Content User info:

Welcome Anonymous

Nickname
Security CodeSecurity Code
Type Code

Membership:
Latest: supercutketo
New Today: 6
New Yesterday: 10
Overall: 2265

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 24
Bots: 2
Staff: 0

─îlanovi online:

Toggle Content Translation

Have You Considered Using Trees For Your Landscaping Project

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Trees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tarzan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Have You Considered Using Trees For Your Landscaping Project Reply with quote

There are so many great things that a person can add to a landscape to either improve it or to basically start designing it from scratch. There are ideas everywhere if you are stuck for inspiration and some sources even tell you how to achieve certain results.

One great idea that you can introduce to a landscape is trees. However, if you do decide to use trees as part of your landscape, you really need to be committed because it takes a long time for them to grow and they will be there for many years to come. You will want to use a tree that will not invade the space and overcrowd it. You should be aiming to get something which will complement the yard area, so if you have a smaller space, then a small to medium tree is something that you may consider using.

Things to Consider If You Use Trees for Your Landscaping Project

There are certain things which you should consider when you use a tree as part of a landscaping project. It really does need a lot of thought put into it and you need to look at your needs and circumstances too. You also need to do the right amount of research needed for the tree that you are considering to use for your landscape. This is because certain trees have special requirements, whilst others can grow to be extremely large. It is always important to know exactly what you are getting and what the end result will be too.

You will also need to consider how close to your house you want the tree to be. This is something that needs a lot of thought and it will depend entirely upon the type of tree that you are purchasing. The reason it needs a lot of thought is because if branches fall off the tree, it could hit the roof or even smash windows. Another thing to consider is that most trees will need plenty of sunlight, although you can find some trees that do perfectly well in the shade.

What Are The Benefits Of Using Trees For Your Landscaping Project?

If you have never used trees before for your landscape, you could be missing out because they look extremely good and they also provide oxygen. The trees will totally transform your landscape offering some protection from the sun too if you want some shade whilst outside. Having trees really does offer something special to the landscape and therefore they are worth getting if you have a big enough area for them.
About the Author

Andrew Caxton contributes adding content to www.lawn-mowers-and-ga...ctors.com. Find more publications about landscaping at his website.
Jekka

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Have You Considered Using Trees For Your Landscaping Project Reply with quote

Had to laugh at you posting this on here Tarzan as without trees where would you be?! Tarzan swinging thru the shrubbery perhaps:)

First thing I do in every garden I visit is check out what trees they have and recommend if they don't. No garden is a garden without at least one tree. Even the smallest patch can hold one. There are so many small trees out there now there really is no excuse. One customer of mine partially bonsai'd (is that a word?) his trees so he could keep them in pots including a styrax! Was a very large pot I have to admit. They add a whole new dimension to any landscape. A must have in my opinion.

Maja

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Have You Considered Using Trees For Your Landscaping Pro Reply with quote

Are You a landscape designer, Jekka?

Jekka wrote:
as without trees where would you be?! Tarzan swinging thru the shrubbery perhaps:)

Mr. Green
Jekka

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Have You Considered Using Trees For Your Landscaping Project Reply with quote

Well kind of. I do virtually everything but I seem to have found a niche with people who want to work along side me and learn as they go. I have designed a few gardens but I hate doing the plans. I do garden consultancy quite often where I go into a garden and help customers decide what they want to do with their garden or just help them with identifying what they have or advise on pruning etc.
My problem is that I always want to be hands on and if I come across a really interesting garden I can't resist physically doing it. One I took on a couple of months ago has a river at the end backing on to woodland. Springs that bubble up thru the lawn when it rains heavily and I just must do an enormous bog garden! I can't resist something just a little bit different.

Isomorphix

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Have You Considered Using Trees For Your Landscaping Pro Reply with quote

Jekka, that sounds perfect - a bog garden! Good for you for wanting to do this. Applause People work hard at trying to create conditions like that while those with those conditions try to change it & grow something else.

Skunk cabbage (Symplocarpus foetidus) grows wild here & is very common so imagine my surprise a few years back when I saw it offered as a bog garden plant in different countries - the UK being one. People consider it a weed plant & try to dig it out but it grows all about with our naturally wet & shaded places. Lots of plants offered in nurseries in diff countries can be found as native plants here.

I love it where I live because while the south side of the river is heavily developed or used as agricultural land, on the north side where I live, it rises to the mountains & many small creeks & streams come down into the Fraser River. Because the river & subsequent creeks are salmon spawning sites, these areas are protected for them. Where there's little gullies & dips in the land with lots of wild plants, no development can bull-doze or change the water flow. Razz So we have lots of little green areas full of small wildlife & even larger ones such as deer, coyotes, black bears, & cougars (though people are driving them out too). I hope it never changes. It's a little touch of paradise away from the heavily populated residential areas going up all around.

The abundance of wild flowers, shrubs, & vines that used to grow here when I was a child has changed though & not as easily found. It was the woods & fields, teeming with so many plants, that got me started as a child. Even then, I'd be out with library books trying to identify all the plants that grew around me from trees to mosses. I even attempted to graft a branch onto a small tree when I was 9 but had no real idea how to do it. Of course, I wasn't successful but I loved to try what I learnt. Wink

I should load an album of some of the many plants that are native here. Anyone interested in seeing them? Most won't be my own photos though as I haven't had my camera for that long. But I'd like to share with others what grows here & would love to see what plants are native in others homelands.

zmijobor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Have You Considered Using Trees For Your Landscaping Pro Reply with quote

Yes! do it! A kind of area that you depicted is a dream of everybody ...
Jekka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Have You Considered Using Trees For Your Landscaping Project Reply with quote

I agree with Zmijobor (how do you pronounce that!) Would love to see your native flora and fauna.
Where you live sounds idyllic and no wonder you are so knowledgeable. I thought I was an early plant fanatic (had my first garden under a rotary washing line when I was 5) but I just liked the pretty flowers. Didn't really start reading up on stuff until my late teens.
Your comment about grafting made me laugh. My first attempt was in a class where the teacher said that if anyone cut themselves he would probably not be allowed to teach it again. I did! managed to hide it through the whole 1hr lesson! Shocked

zmijobor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Have You Considered Using Trees For Your Landscaping Pro Reply with quote

Zmee-yo-b'or... Smile
Means 'snakepine' (like a saloon from Wilde West!? Mr. Green ) = Araucaria araucana (monkey puzzle)
Isofix , do we get that 'Goule Village' of yours to see or not? Whistling
Jekka

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Have You Considered Using Trees For Your Landscaping Project Reply with quote

Hi Zmijobor. Very Happy Thanks for that. Where are you from? Or are you being mysterious?
I never knew that a monkey puzzle was also called a snakepine...You learn something new every day.... I just love this forum everyone is so friendly and helpful.
Come on Iso. You have had a whole day to photograph everything you know.. Rolling Eyes

zmijobor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Have You Considered Using Trees For Your Landscaping Pro Reply with quote

Me mysterious? Nein...I overlooked the rest of the staf during the registration...
I am from Belgrade. But, I have been living already for 15 years in Antwerp, Belgium.
It is here that peaple have that name for monkey puzzle: 'slangenden' in dutch. I only translated it in serbian Mr. Green Really a good name for a saloon: "Have a whisky by 'Snakepine' Twisted Evil
Jekka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Have You Considered Using Trees For Your Landscaping Project Reply with quote

Very good name for a saloon. If ever you give up on the plant world let me know and I will pop over for a drink in the Snakepine saloon! Laughing

Isomorphix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Have You Considered Using Trees For Your Landscaping Project Reply with quote

Yes, I know I've had time to photograph plants but have been quite busy. It doesn't take me long to type up a response as to take pix though. I can touch type very fast & the info is already in my head so comes up quickly.

I'm waiting till we get a few days of nicer weather. I doubt the pix would look nearly as inviting when everything is covered with downpour. Last weekend, we had a record 180 mm in 2 days!! Fields & roads were flooded. Thankfully, the ground soaks up the water & in a couple of days was back to normal (except people whose homes flooded too). We've had a few hours of sun here & there which has managed to prompt some plants & trees to start flowering. Hopefully, this weekend I can take photos. Spring peepers are making their mating chorus in the evenings so I know spring is close.

If anyone ever gets the chance to travel to Vancouver, BC Canada, they should take a look at the monkey puzzle trees growing there. A number of streets are lined with very old tall ones. I've never heard of accidents from their cones falling & hurting anyone or damaging cars parked underneath so wonder if these are only male trees. The cones can weight from 5-9 kg so when one falls, it can kill or damage a great deal! The large cones are only produced on female trees.

I've seen many small yards where the homeowner foolishly planted a small Araucaria araucana in their front yard with no idea how big they get. And the fallen 'leaves' are no fun to clean up either. Very sharp & need frequent clean up.

Jekka

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Have You Considered Using Trees For Your Landscaping Project Reply with quote

I only have a small terraced garden so the trees I put in had to be quite small. Technically one isn't a tree. Its a palm but I always wanted to grow a Trachycarpus fortunei.(Chinese finger palm) It was just under 1 metre when I planted it and now it is over 3 metres. I am so chuffed cos it makes my garden look so exotic and it is not that hardy so I was not sure if it would make it through the early years.
The other one I planted is Cornus mas. I think of it as Poor mans Witch hazel (Hamamelis) If you don't have acid soil and can't grow Hamamelis then Cornus Mas is the answer. It is stunning at the moment and has been for about a month now. Covered in yellow tassle like flowers. You may not get the scent like Witch hazel but instead you get edible red cherry like fruits in the autumn that the birds love. Mine is the variegated form so the leaves are a beautiful crisp white and green. Recommend this for anyone with a small garden.
I also have 2 dwarf conifers and a small Podocarpus (2 metres or so) and an Ilex(holly) hedge. Who said there garden was too small to grow a tree?!!!!! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Trees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: