People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 9
Bots: 3
Staff: 0

─îlanovi online:

Toggle Content Translation

Thick with Mosquitoes

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Climate and Weather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isomorphix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Thick with Mosquitoes Reply with quote

After months of dreary overcast or rain, we're finally enjoying some nice weather. Enjoying the weather but not the results of the flood level of the nearby river, that is.

Once before, we had very high river levels & we had a bumper crop of flood mosquitoes then. These aren't like ordinary mosquitoes as they're active during the day & in the sunshine. When they bite, you feel it & the welt that forms is larger & extremely itchy. Impossible not to scratch in your sleep. I'm covered right now. Evil or Very Mad I've got dabs of green stuff (mashed plantain & comfrey leaves) on my bites. I look a sight & still itch. I even have a bite on my behind when I was bitten through my clothes as I was kneeling over weeding.

I just went out to take the garbage to the curb as pick-up is tomorrow morning. I slappedat 7 or so that I missed, got another 4 & don't know how many bit me where I couldn't see. I hate using DEET & have avoided it, only ever using it once before. But I'm going to have to use it this summer or I won't be able to go outside! The last time we had flood mosquitoes (about 6 years ago), they weren't this thick. I hope high river levels & near flood conditions don't become common. I couldn't bear it. Shocked I don't know how other people can live where mosquitoes are common. I'd save all my money just to move away.

Flood mosquitoes lay their eggs high in the damp mud of the river bank. Normal river levels never reach that high so the eggs stay dormant for years till the next high flood level & then they hatch. I wish there was a safe natural way the community could treat the mud to prevent it from happening but the river goes on for many miles. Guess it's near impossible to do.

But on a good note, I've got a little hunter in my house who's ready to make sure there's no mosquitoes lurking on the walls to get me at night. My girl kitty, Morgana loves to eat them. I have a folded tea towel ready & we go mosquito hunting in the evening. She scans the walls with me, looking for them. When we find one, I swat it with the rolled up towel & when it falls to the floor, stunned or dead but not squashed, she races over to eat it. How much value there is in a mosquito is unknown to me & it's not the bloody ones either. But she seems to find great delight & smacks her lips, making a big thing about eating them. All I have to say is "Let's go get the bad bugs" & she's off, looking about on the walls. I suppose it's the one positive thing about these mosquitoes - a bit of comic relief in the evening with my kitty. Wink

I just checked the internet to see if there's anything about these mosquitoes before I posted this & found this localnews item -
In our area, between 2 towns along the Fraser River, Mission (mine) & Hope, which is about 100 km (65 miles) long, spraying of a biological mosquito larvacide has been going on. Almost 700 hectares is being covered & has been going on since May. This is something I didn't know. Shocked If the mosquitoes are this bad with spraying of the larvae, can you imagine what it would've been like without?? They say the kill rate is 90% & it's being done 7 days a week. It's the largest spraying program they've done for years. Scary really. Sure hope you don't get flood mosquitoes, Jekka. They're no fun at all.

Sladolez

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Thick with Mosquitoes Reply with quote

Viva La Morgana!

Isomorphix

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Thick with Mosquitoes Reply with quote

Morgana said "mer-ooew" which means thank you. She feels it's her duty & says mosquitoes have a unique salty flavour all their own.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Climate and Weather All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: