Members: 0
Visitors: 28
Bots: 1
Staff: 0

─îlanovi online:

Toggle Content Translation

Toromiro

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Rare Species
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Toromiro Reply with quote

eureka wrote:
Hi Spiniflores

Am coming in late to the discussion on Sophora toromiro.
For about the last year, I have been trying to get hold of seeds of Sophora toromiro here in Australia.
I live on the same latitude as Easter Island, just West of Brisbane, in Queensland, so, I'm quite optimistic that the tree will grow here.
Can u help with suply of seeds?

Best wishes,

Eureka
dave

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Toromiro Reply with quote

Aloha,

[Sorry Eureka I must have accidentally copied your message. Not sure what happened to my prior post but I'll try again.]

Toromiro fruit and seeds looks very much like Hawaii's endemic mamane (Sophora chrysophylla). Leaves and habit appear different though.

I have a toromiro from an air layer about 2 1/2 feet tall in a one gallon pot. I have the plant in a shaded area. It receives an application of slow release Nutricote 13-13-13 every six months and a monthly foliar feeding of kelp emulsion and EM.

My question is: How old or mature does toromiro begin flower? And what will initiate flowering?

Any other cultural needs would be much appreciated too.

Mahalo,
dave
eureka

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Toromiro Reply with quote

dave wrote:
Aloha,

[Sorry Eureka I must have accidentally copied your message. Not sure what happened to my prior post but I'll try again.]

Toromiro fruit and seeds looks very much like Hawaii's endemic mamane (Sophora chrysophylla). Leaves and habit appear different though.

I have a toromiro from an air layer about 2 1/2 feet tall in a one gallon pot. I have the plant in a shaded area. It receives an application of slow release Nutricote 13-13-13 every six months and a monthly foliar feeding of kelp emulsion and EM.

My question is: How old or mature does toromiro begin flower? And what will initiate flowering?

Any other cultural needs would be much appreciated too.

Mahalo,
dave
Mate

U and I both are raw recruits in growing the prized toromiro.

I recently planted seeds, and have about a dozen seedlings coming thru.

I looked at the internet -- usually a mine of info -- but came up with very little.

So, here's what I can profer.

Indirect feedback that I get is that u will have to wait 6 or more years before fruiting (ie seeding).

How to grow it for best results?

Well, internet said: it needs "some of lots of sun", whatever that means.
On Easter Island, it grew in the "boundary regions ... of ... forests". So much for the internet.

Now, toromiro is a legume (produces its own nitrogen) . It would tend to be a pioneer in the forested environment that once was Easter Island. In other words, full-sun. The specimen that Thor Heyerdahl took his seeds from would definitely have been in full sun.

Now, u'r in (Hawaii?), which is a good bit lower lattitude than Easter Island (27 deg). So, mebbe u should try semi-shade for best results. Am thinking this is the way I'l go, and I'm on the exact same latitide in Oz (27 deg S).

I would think again about your fertilizing program.

Your nutricote is 13% nitrogen, 13% phosphorus, 13% potassium. The toromiro should be producing inuf nitrogen to feed itself. So, the nitrogen in the fertilizer is certainly redundant, and may even be doing some harm.

With the foliar feeding, I do know that toromiro is quite sensitive to chemicals on its leaves. Do u notice any damage on the leaves after foliar feeding?

I question the necessity of the foliar feed.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Boris
PeterB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Toromiro Reply with quote

Hi Spiniflores,
I don't know if you still join this site but if you do so, I would ask you if you could obtain some seeds of the S. Torormiro. I was looking all over the net to find them. The raison why I desperatly seeking it is because I have some affinity with Easter Iland. I visited it about 20 years ago and hope in the near future to go back. I'm planning to build a greenhouse in my graden where de surviving of Toromiro should not be a problem. So can you contact me please by this forum, ik would be great!!
If somebody else could help me don't hasitate! Wink
CarmelGarden

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Toromiro Reply with quote

I came back from Easter island a few weeks ago. While there I tried to see a live Toromiro. I visited the much neglected Manavai botanical gardens "maintained" by the Chilean KONAF, and took a picture of the dead tree they have there. (attached). I also took a picture of the place at which the last remaining tree was found, inside the Rano Kau crater, in a place shielded from winds. (attached too).
I live in Israel, and a place where pretty much everything grows, and if one of the members is willing to share a few seeds with me, I'll try to propagate the tree here. I belived that diverisity in the locations where Toromiro grows may ensure the survival of the species...

Gad

pict3472.jpg
 Description:
The Rano Kau crater, Easter island, where the last living tree was found.
 Filesize:  63.44 KB
 Viewed:  25291 Time(s)

pict3472.jpg

pict3712.jpg
 Description:
A dead Toromiro tree at the Manavai gardens, Easter island
 Filesize:  70.17 KB
 Viewed:  25291 Time(s)

pict3712.jpg

spiniflores

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Toromiro Reply with quote

Hello

Now in Santiago de Chile our toromiros have new flowers and soon they will have fruits.
But there are some people here in Chile that thinks that toromiros from Las brujas de Talagante's nursery are not "real" toromiros... I have to check that untill keep sending more seeds.

here is a link of the Homepage of the Toromiro Management Group

www.kew.org/conservati...ro_t1.html

I visited Kew Gardens (London, England) and I took this pictures... better than the plants in Eastern Island "protected" by Conaf

I will try to post more info about the origin of this plants

happy new year!!

Juan
CarmelGarden

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Toromiro Reply with quote

Juan

Can you please send or post pictures of your trees?

Also - Las brujas de Talagante nursery ship only to Santiago. Are they in Santiago? Have you visited them and seen the trees? Or have you just heard that their tress are not really Toromiro?

Has anybody on this forum experience dealing with the Las brujas de Talagante nursery? Specifically buying Totomiro from them?

Thanks

Gad

spiniflores

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Toromiro Reply with quote

Hello

this is one of the biggest Toromiro in Las Brujas Nursery. We live very close to them.

spiniflores wrote:

and adult plant, aprox 2,3 mt

fruits

at 150 km from Santiago, there is a botanical garden in Valparaiso and they have some "documented" toromiros...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcdLH36qw00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNAHgXqEZBw

Juan
Marcus
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Toromiro Reply with quote

Very nice pics!

I can't play first video Sad
Second I can, but not understand a word Smile

CarmelGarden

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Toromiro Reply with quote

Hi Spiniflores

A friend of mine is in Chile right now, and could pick some Toromiro seeds for me. Would you know where he could get some?

Your photos on Flickr show a lot of them, so I wonder where one can get some.

Please reply to einkaze @ gmail.com.

Thanks

herculesautomation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Automatic Gates Manufacturers, Automatic Garage Door, Automa Reply with quote

"Hercules automation is one of the leading brands in the market for Fabricated items, Boom Barriers, Garage Door , Rolling Shutters and a pioneer in the field of Remote Control Doors and Gates in south India for over a decade."
herculesautomation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Automatic Gates Manufacturers, Automatic Garage Door, Automa Reply with quote

"Hercules automation is one of the leading brands in the market for Fabricated items, Boom Barriers, Garage Door , Rolling Shutters and a pioneer in the field of Remote Control Doors and Gates in south India for over a decade."
herculesautomation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Automatic Gates Manufacturers, Automatic Garage Door, Reply with quote

Aus_Ian

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Toromiro Reply with quote

Hi,
I live in Australia. Would anyone have some seed or seedlings of the Toromiro available? I live in same latitude as Easter Island so think the Toromiro should do well here.
By the way we have a rare and threatened Sophora that grows here locally, called Sophora fraseri. It forms a small shrub with yellow pea flowers. The leaves are very grey and covered in very short, felt-like hairs.
Supersport

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Toromiro Reply with quote

spiniflores wrote:
Sophora toromiro

this tree is already extinct in its natural habitat (Eastern Island -"Isla de Pascua", Chile)

I have 8 of them Very Happy

Hello Juan,
On Wikipedia I learnt that Sophora toromiro should be reintroduced on Eastern Island (in cooperation with Kew Gardens and a organisaton in Sweden). Do you know something about that project?
I am very interested why they didn't already reforestation on the island. What do you know?
Kind regards, Supersport
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Rare Species All times are GMT
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: