Plants World
   Login or Register
HomeCommunity ForumsMy Account
Community Forums › Plants › Cactus and other Succulents › Need Help To Identify Between Succulents?
Toggle Content Search:
Toggle Content Main Menu
 Home Community Members options Forums Search Web Identication
 Contest01
 Links
Toggle Content MiniChat
Marcus: Hi guys!
02-Sep-2016 10:03:34
Tedus: how are you ? Smile Very Happy
04-Nov-2015 07:09:02
Marcus: Hi Tedus
24-Jun-2015 08:16:09
Tedus: Someone on forum???
14-Feb-2015 16:58:39
plantsandstuff: i need a plant identified
08-Dec-2012 17:42:05
Marcus: almost Smile
27-Oct-2012 18:29:42
Pljoska: is someone there Smile
28-May-2012 02:54:58
Marcus: Hello people Smile
01-Apr-2012 13:34:46
lifecellskin: hi
31-Mar-2011 10:27:26
Marcus: Hi Joyful Razz
05-Jan-2011 18:08:20
Shout History
Only Registered Users can Shout
Create/Login
Toggle Content User info:

Welcome Anonymous

Nickname
Security CodeSecurity Code
Type Code

Membership:
Latest: HallBeulah
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1256

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 26
Bots: 0
Staff: 0

Članovi online:

Toggle Content Translation

Need Help To Identify Between Succulents?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Cactus and other Succulents
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isomorphix

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Need Help To Identify Between Succulents? Reply with quote

Being a rank amateur when it comes to succulents & cacti, are there ways to identify a particular succulent into a family or genus? For example, I was looking at a photo of Crassula alba & it looks for all the world like a Haworthia to me. Surprised And I find it hard to tell the difference between Haworthia & Aloe. Now some are distinct & easier to tell apart but for my untrained eye, I have a hard time even knowing where to start looking.

I know both Haworthia & Aloe belong to the same family, Asphodelaceae & even the same order (one step above family). Sedum & Crassula belong to the same family, Crassulaceae, & also same order. But they're not related to Haworthia & Aloe but some look very similar.

In identifying the sort of plants I'm more familiar with, one looks at a number of characteristics - number of petals on flowers, alternating or opposite leaves, leaves clasping a stem or not & various other forms in different plant parts. But how does one go about breaking down the characteristics of succulents so I'd know what each is? Is there a guide that can lead or teach a person? At least to know which genus it is in?

I just bought 3 small succulents yesterday, none with any name attached. What I thought at first was a Haworthia, I found through lots of searching, to be a hybrid miniature aloe, Aloe descoingsii x Aloe haworthioides. I'm now trying to figure out what the other two are. One looks very much like a sedum & the other, a crassula but I'm not sure. Any tips would be appreciated. Not Worthy

Maja

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help To Identify Between Succulents? Reply with quote

It takes time! I know people who have been growing cacti & succulents for 30 years and every now and then they say that they can't identify some plants or at least- say for sure what they are. Then, there is a "problem" with unknown and new hybrids...sometimes you just can't tell. For instance, sedum species are always tricky.
It's not enough to find a picture of a plant in a book- you need to see at least 3 pictures to be sure what some species looks like. Whenever you can- ask someone experienced for identification, remember that there are many wrong plant identifications on the internet so make sure to check what you find there and, step by step, you'll become more secure in identifying succulent plants. But, trust me, no one is really an expert- the scientist say that there are approximately 7500 species belonging to the family of Euphorbiaceae (290 genus) and that is only one of the succulent plant families on the planet. Surprised
If you've got some photos of your plants, maybe we could help identifying (well, try at least!! Wink
Isomorphix

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help To Identify Between Succulents? Reply with quote

Thank you, Maja. When I look for identifying a plant on the internet, I go to sites that are either .edu or .org that specialize in these plants. My aloe was found at such a site. Then, I do a Google image search for that plant to check with many other photos.

Like you said, many people wrongly label plants. But I had no idea that succulents were that hard to ID even for the 'experts'! I have reference books on identifying local wild flora, mushrooms, birds, & insects & they're not half as difficult to identify as different succulents I've had!

I will photograph my new plants & post them later this weekend. I have 4 appointments today & tomorrow so will be too busy till later.

Maja

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help To Identify Between Succulents? Reply with quote

Well, ID-ing succulent plants can get a bit hard sometimes but it's always fun if nothing else! Smile

This is a good place to go when you are trying to ID succulent and tropical plants, the ID informations that can be found there a re very reliable! Smile

Here it is - Desert Tropicals
amante

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help To Identify Between Succulents? Reply with quote

The problem is that the term succulent has no real scientific meaning. A succulent plant can be from any Family or Genus. For example, how many know that the Geraniums have several succulent members in their family? Sarcoccaulon is one Genus that belongs to the Family Geranaceae and are all succulent and there are a few Pelargoniums that are succulent but the majority are not.

It’s like saying that a group of people tend to collect all plants with red flowers. Red flowers come from many plant families but there is no basis in how to identify a plant to having red flower. There may be even Genera with only red flowers.

Another problem is what really defines a succulent since all plants store water to some extent. I know of people who collect Sanseveria. Not wanting to be outdone, I do tend to collect a few. But are these really succulent? It is up to the collector to choose how much narrow or broad he/she would define a succulent. To keep with the red flower analogy, there may be people who would not only collect red flowers but any plant that has a streak of red in its flower or a combination of red with other colours.

To be sure there are certain kinds of Genera or even plant Families that are all succulents. All cacti are succulent. The best way to identify a cactus is to look for the areole. The areole is an elliptical or round felted feature on the plant or branches, from which may arise spines (but not necessary) other branches and flowers (again, not necessary).

One has to be careful here, because there are a few succulents that look uncannily like cactus such as several Euphorbia (which can be distinguished from their flowers and the absence of a real areole) and Trichodiadema. I remember when I first saw a Trichodiadema, I was fooled into believing it was some kind of cactus. Trichodiadema belong to the Mesembryanthemaceae and every single member of the Mesembryanthemaceae is a succulent. Only a few of the Euphorbiaceae (there are hundreds) are succulent.

Most Genera can be distinguished by their flower. Gasteria have stomach like flowers, hence the name (remember gastric juice, gastroenteritis etc.) All Hawothia are small and their flowers are small also and rather insignificant. Aloe tend to grow larger and only a few look like a Haworthia which may fool anyone, expert or not, unless, that is, they are in flower.

A more difficult choice for beginners is between Agave and Aloe. If one looks at the growing point of an Agave, the leaves are wrapped to a tapering point. The leaves of an Aloe are 'open' at the centre. Of course, again, if they are both in flower there is no doubt. The Agave rosette dies after flowering.

Crassula can be distinguished from Sedum by the combination of opposite leaves and a single whorl of stamens. Sedum is rather a 'dump' Genus where other genera are put after removal from other genera such as Orostachys. The flower of a Sedum contains twice as many stamens as there are petals.

There are many other Genera which are either all succulent (Echeveria, Dudleya, Hoodia, Edithcolea, Adromischus, etc.) or have members that are succulent (Cissus, Oxalis, etc.) which is impossible to name them all here but hope to have helped somehow.

Lsaliba

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help To Identify Between Succulents? Reply with quote

Now who is the expert!!!! Very very good detailed explanation Amante. Applause
Isomorphix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help To Identify Between Succulents? Reply with quote

What a good explanation in just one post, Amante! Thank you. I'm saving your post so I can refer back to it till I've memorized the info.

I was aware that some pelargoniums are succulent as I spend a fair amount of time reading about plants & horticulture & viewing photos on the internet but have other huge gaps about cacti & succulents. I think the internet is a Godsend for research & learning. Without it, I would never have known what I do now. I came across photos of these strange pelargoniums a few years back & was very surprised. Now, I'm not as surprised to find some other unique & unusual plants are as I've learnt to expect the unusual. Razz Even with a life time of reading, looking at & studying plants in real life, & researching, one would only have scratched the surface of what there is to know.

When my sedums outside bloom, I will have to count their stamens & petals. This is exactly the sort of information I was looking for - I greatly appreciate you posting this. I didn't know that only cacti have areoles. With this in mind, how does my thanksgiving cactus (Schlumbergera truncata) qualify as a true cactus? Where are their areoles? The only part I can think of is the flat end of each segment where new leaves or buds form. Is this what it is? Their areoles never give rise to spines then, do they?

I realise that 'succulent' is simply a term like saying 'evergreen'. Any plant that retains green leaves is evergreen & could be conifer or large leafed. I'm beginning to think that there are more plants that are cacti & more succulents of other plants since they need to inhabit such different environments than most plants could live in. I'm amazed at how diverse they are! My interest in such plants is just getting started & I'm thankful to others here who have helped pique my interest & who can help me learn more. Applause

Asking for distinguishing features in cacti & succulents is similar to looking for them in other plants, it seems. It's hard to tell between some till they flower. I'm still trying to learn how to distinguish deciduous trees locally, during winter, by their branching & by their bark. Some can be done but I find it hard with many. I plan to take photos of the form of different trees to see if there's a consistent pattern in their trunk & branching (as in fractal shapes). Perhaps it can't be done but fun trying still.

amante

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help To Identify Between Succulents? Reply with quote

The areoles on the Schlumbergera truncata are not only at the end of the 'truncated stem' but they are on the side of each leaf-like stem at each marginal depression. From looking at your picture again I can see tiny spines at the end of each stem, however they are very insignificant. S. truncata is a cactus that is trying to revert to its ancient habitat with leaf-like stems.

I have read somewhere that the laws of evolution dictate that if a plant or animal looses something due to evolution it cannot build it back. So instead of producing leaves again the stem itself has turned to be leaf-like. Other epiphytic cacti do the same due to convergent evolution.

The majority of cacti have spines but there are a few who have lost them altogether such as those from the genus Ariocarpus, Lophophora and others. But the areole is always there no matter how tiny. In the Genus Mammillaria the flowers are not borne on the areoles but between the tubercles. Very Happy

Another feature on some cacti are the glochids which are mainly found in Opuntia and Pereskiopsis. These are tiny spiny barbs that if looked under a microscope are really barbed like many arrow ends stuck together. These are really tedious to remove and that is why some people do hate Opuntia, even though they may like other cacti.
Isomorphix

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help To Identify Between Succulents? Reply with quote

I never knew what the term was for glochids before so thank you for teaching me. I've had experience with them & find them highly irritating. I used to unload new plants that would come into the garden centre where I once worked. When tiny cacti would come in, they'd be tightly packed in boxes & difficult to remove without sticking myself a few times. These tiny glochids in my fingers would be the worse as they were hard to find & really bothersome each time I put pressure on that spot when handling anything.

I don't have allergies to anything, plant, animal, or chemical but cacti spines & those tiny barbed hairs seem to irritate my skin even after being removed. I guess that's why I've avoided cacti but do like other plant succulents (or thornless plants). I'm not even that fond of roses either due to the thorns - except for the rare thornless types.

On my S. truncata, there are aerial roots forming between the stem segments, branching out to the sides. Perhaps it's because I have it on the windowsill just over my kitchen sink & the air is more humid there. I took a very close look & can see the tiny aeroles in the depressions on the sides of each stem. Thanks for such detailed information! I really enjoy learning these things. I guess only other plant enthusiasts would understand when I say I find it a thrill to learn so many new things about plants! Very Happy

Oh, by the way, Amante, I'm female - a woman, not a guy but don't worry, I'm not insulted. Wink Not sure why, but if I don't use my real name when posting on the internet, most people assume I'm male. Maybe how I write? No idea.

amante

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help To Identify Between Succulents? Reply with quote

Hi Isomorphix, Embarassed Embarassed I apologise for making the mistake in thinking you are male. The name Isomorphix instantly conjures a male person to my mind.

People sometimes, make mistake with my name in correspondence and think it as a female name. To make matters worse I work as a nurse and the mind works by thinking a nurse to be a female. I remember one particular embarrassing mistake when I was corresponding with several others in a group of round robins of The American Cactus and Succulent Society. A round robin is when someone sends a letter and others add to it and when it comes round back to you, you remove the old letter and add a new one. Well, this guy said that his wife was jealous because he was corresponding with a nurse! Nono

I too, learn a lot from the internet. I find it invaluable as a learning tool and there is so much to learn. I wish I knew several other languages so that I could widen the search. I only know Maltese, English and elementary Spanish and Italian. Very Happy

Glochids irritate the skin because when they are removed by rubbing or scrubbing them they make tiny microscopic tears in the skin. I have read, although I have not tried it, that the best way to remove them is to apply sticky tape to the skin over the glochids and they are removed as one removes the tape. But I guess it still hurts and irritates especially if one is removing hair also.

I get aerial roots on Schlumbergera and they do not survive much in my greenhouse. You see, I still have a lot to learn. An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less.
Isomorphix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help To Identify Between Succulents? Reply with quote

Quote::
An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less.
How true! The more I learn about any subject, the more questions I have which leads to further learning & further questions. It's one way I found out what sort of things really interest me the most - those are the ones that I find I can never learn enough about.

I found it funny that in the round robin letters, someone's wife was jealous of you, thinking since you were a nurse, you had to be female. Razz The kindest & best nurse I ever had was a man - just after my 2nd son was born. He beat all others for his care & gentleness. Perhaps because he was a man & much stronger than most, he was especially careful in being gentle in his care for others. He probably was aware that if he wasn't, he could hurt someone instead. Many men don't seem to realise that a firm grip from their hands can be painful if they're not careful.

I took the user name Isomorphix because it describes the life cycle changes in mosses. This is prime moss country - grows on everything & I love it. I needed a user name that suited my interests & wasn't used by others. Sadly, some people assume it meant I had strange sexual leanings - not sure what they thought & prefer not to know. Nono

Sticky tape for glochids makes sense! I will do that next time if I handle any. Do you know why you have trouble with Schlumbergera surviving? I find that neglect suits them best. I only water mine occasionally, keep it cool in winter & very warm in summer, & mix up equal parts sand with soil for mine to grow in.

Have you ever noticed that sometimes plants fussed over don't grow nearly as well as those ignored? I call it my "Weed Theory" Whistling My oldest son just calls it another of my 'loony' ideas (in jest, of course). If you have a problem growing something, treat it as a weed (except to not pull it out). Then, it will think its chances of surviving is at risk & it will do everything it can to grow. I do believe there's a grain of truth in that as plants that are very fussed over seem to lack 'toughness'.

I must say those of us who speak English are spoiled since so many others have learnt English too. While I have good skills & talents in some fields, languages is not one of mine. My hearing is good but my ability to discern different sounds in a language is terrible. I also have a very poor auditory memory (conversely a very good visual memory) & often can't recall sounds that I should know such as melodies, bird calls, etc. So learning another language is next to impossible for me. I applaud the fact you know what you do & envy those who can speak, read, & write other languages. The etymology of languages fascinate me though. The idioms & origin of words in diff languages is a fascinating study in itself.

Thanks to you, Amante, Loukie, & a number of others here, I've taken a new look/interest in cacti & many succulents. I have started looking for small & non-threatening (no nasty spines) ones to form a collection to the few I had before. So far, I have 12 different kinds although all are quite small now. I thank all who have piqued my curiousity with photos & posts about them. Applause I can understand why so many votes have been cast for them in our survey.

amante

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help To Identify Between Succulents? Reply with quote

Hi Judy,
Took very long to reply but I have been busy preparing some seeds for the Maltese society. I still have 10 seedlists to prepare. Each seedlist has an average of 100 packets and take a day to prepare. Crying or Very sad It is tedious work but that is how the society gets some of its funds.

If I remember well that bit about the round robin member's wife being jealous was said in an amicable reply so that he could get a pass on me (if my English is right). Of course it embarrassed me more.

I thought Isomorphix was the name of one of your cats. I sometimes mix up names of people or things and even faces. Strangely enough, I do not mix Cacti names. You do have a nice name and not very ordinary---no pun intended. Surprised

My Schlumbergera dies because I treat them like all the other cacti and I do neglect them more then is necessary. In summer the greenhouse get blazingly hot and that is not very good for it, so I prefer to collect 'desert' type cacti, not that I do not like the others but one has to draw a line somewhere. I do not water much since I only use rain water and it is collected in large 40 gallon tanks on the roof from the runoff of the green- house roof.
albleroy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help To Identify Between Succulents? Reply with quote

Hello the experts and C°,
Let me resent me before . My name is Albert , living in Belgium but part of the year on the Canary Islands. I am specialised in the Canarian succulents as I am doing field research on Tenerife, La Gomera and El Hierr since more than 15 years.
On the basis I am a Cevil Engineer specialised in maritiem construction (new ports etc..) . After my retirement, as I was still young anough, I started again to study and finaly I obtained my licence (mastership) in biologie/botanic. Now since two years I am (on free basis) lecturer on one of the Universities of the Caary Islands. I am helping to reroute students who doesn't find work in their branch. In the same time I am ocupying to make an inventory of the local endemic flora of the islands.
In the last 10 years I discovered 9 new species/sub sp./var or forma's. What is a very good result and what indicates still a lot of work has to be doen before tourisme is overwelming everything.
So , and now about your Schlumbergera . Don't forget this is not a normal cactus. The real place of this plant is somewere in an axil of a tree branch. So they need shadow but a lot of light (no direct sun) some humidity (nearly constantly) but an excelent drainage, no standing water on the roots. As they in nearly pure composted treeleafs you can for the best give them a mix of good composted treeleafs with 1/3 blond peat (turf). I am hanging my'n under the appel tree during summer!! They also need a 2/3months of drier rest period (nov,dec,jan,febr.) in order to prepare them for flowering. If you keep the plant to warm and to wet , vegetation continous and the plant forget to flower. The only way to force all succulents is to give them a dry period so to give them the impressison they have to produce kids for the survive of the species !!!!!
Nice greetings from cold Belgium (only 4°C for the mom.) Wink

View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
wsseoer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help To Identify Between Succulents? Reply with quote

www.cmebrakes.com/

CME brakes is a company engaging in vehicle brake solution and industry use brake mechanisms.brake caliper China manufacturer supplier for Audi,Prado,Mercedes,Volvo,Land Cruiser,Ford Focus,VW Golf,Toyota,Opel,Landrove.

brake caliper for Prado
brake caliper factory
brake caliper supplier
brake caliper manufacturer
brake caliper China
brake caliper for Audi
brake caliper for Mercedes
brake caliper for Volvo
brake caliper for Land Cruiser
brake caliper for Ford Focus
brake caliper for VW Golf
brake caliper for Opel
brake caliper for Landrover
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Cactus and other Succulents All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: