People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 28
Bots: 1
Staff: 0

─îlanovi online:

Toggle Content Translation

Growing a Custard Apple Tree

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Trees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isomorphix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Growing a Custard Apple Tree Reply with quote

I've seen custard apples listed as both Annona reticulata & A. squamosa. I'm not sure what species is sold in North American oriental grocers as I can't really tell by comparing photos of the two types. But if anyone knows, could they tell me, please? Or is there cross pollination between the two species?

I've got a nice collection of the seeds from one of the fruits. I'd like to try growing some. I realise that they couldn't be outdoor trees but I also read that their root system isn't extensive & they do make good pot plants. Whether I'd ever get fruit off them is unknown but I'll have fun growing them. I'd like to give one to my Cambodian friend too & I have another Indonesian friend who I know would be 'tickled pink' to get one. One gets homesick for the plants that grew in their native land. I know. When I lived on the horrible Canadian prairies I was so homesick for the tall conifers & plants that grew back near the Pacific coast in BC (Canada too but a completely diff climate & flora).

Any tips or help from personal experience would be greatly appreciated. I'd also like to know just how big the leaves get as photos don't really tell me the size of the tree as it grows or its leaf size.

Pljoska

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Growing a Custard Apple Tree Reply with quote

The custard-apple, also called bullock's heart or bull's heart, is the fruit of the tree Annona reticulata. This tree is a small deciduous or semi-evergreen tree sometimes reaching 10 metres (33 ft) tall and a native of the tropical New World that prefers low elevations, and a warm, humid climate. It also occurs as feral populations in many parts of the world including Southeast Asia, Taiwan, India, Australia, and Africa.

The fruits are variable in shape, oblong, or irregular. The size ranges from 7 centimetres (2.8 in) to 12 centimetres (4.7 in). When ripe, the fruit is brown or yellowish, with red highlights and a varying degree of reticulation, depending on variety. The flavor is sweet and pleasant.

In some regions of the world, "custard-apple" is another name for sugar-apple or sweetsop (Annona squamosa), a different plant in the same genus. In California and Britain, "custard-apple" refers to cherimoya, the fruit of Annona cherimola, a third plant in the same genus.
Pljoska

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Growing a Custard Apple Tree Reply with quote

Cultivars

Illustration of variety Areolis Angularibus.Tikal
is of excellent quality and medium yield; its flesh is bright-red, except in the white areas surrounding the seeds.
Canul
has a medium fruit with a waxy, shiny dark-red surface and purplish red flesh; it is very aromatic and deliciously sweet with few concretions of hard cells.
Sartenaya
has a medium fruit with a waxy, shiny red surface and pink flesh with a magnificent taste and texture. Although the fruit is not as attractive in appearance as that of the previous two cultivars. the tree is sturdier.
San Pablo
has a long, large fruit with an opaque, light-red surface. The flesh is dark-pink with a good aroma and taste. It is a vigorous, productive cultivar.
Benque
has a big conical fruit with a dark-red surface and very tasty dark-pink flesh.
Caledonia
has a small fruit with a dark surface: it is very attractive to cochineal insects (Philophaedra sp.), which are not very common in other varieties. The flesh is pink and has an excellent taste.
Chonox
has a medium fruit with a red skin and juicy. very tasty pink flesh; it is very productive and, for this reason, often has low-quality fruit. It produces abundant flowers in groups of up to 16.
AnthonyParker86

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Growing a Custard Apple Tree Reply with quote

To be honest, I have no idea if the custard apple trees are a result of cross polination or not. I've just never thought about it so much. But I know that growing these trees from seeds is a rewarding, but also very time consuming task. And I agree that growing them in big pots would be the best alternative, since they are very sensitive to big temperature changes, and growing them outside is a risk. If you want more detailed information on how to grow these apples from seeds, check this article - www.ebay.co.uk/gds/How...380/g.html . They provide all the information needed step by step. You should also have in mind that these trees will need regular daily care, seasonal pruning, pest prevention, and many other types of care you'll need to provide daily. If you can't do that, you maybe should consider getting some help, like a professional company, which can take care of them in your absence. We've used www.fantasticgardeners...-services/ a couple of times and the results were satisfactory. Another thing you should bear in mind is that custard apples are prone to many diseases and many pests would love to snack on them, so you'll need to find some way to prevent that. If you're interested in which pests and diseases you should look out for check this post - www.daf.qld.gov.au/pla...ard-apples . They have them all mentioned and they even provide some solutions. And good luck with your apples!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Trees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: